Ya know, I thought about it even more *this blog further references the Death of Professionalism blog below, so read it too heh*. It's not just a lack of professionalism going on here. Its also bullying, pure and simple.
Pushing little children
With their fully automatics
They like to push the weak around
Why do I say that? Well, first off, as I mentioned in the previous post, the *big name* powerseller DIYers *at least believe* that they have some influence in the DIY community (do they or dont they is purely up to supposition, I guess. For example, if you read someting Shrinkle posts on her About Me page, and it causes you to feel or behave in a certain way, then that's influence). So by posting a message on an About Me page that basically says *do not buy from anyone whose work even remotely resembles mine* sellers are using their influence, either perceived or actual, to cause a potential buyer to stay away from another seller.
Why would anyone purposely try to hurt the sales of another DIY seller? What is the gain in that? The existence of other sellers doesnt HURT any other seller. In fact, it helps the market. Competition brings variety, which brings more interest from buyers - many of whom may not have even known DIY clothing was available on ebay...which brings more potential customers. And more sales. Additionally, for most DIY sellers, this is all they do for a living. This is a full time job. So we have powersellers (btw that means theyre already successful...they're making $$, they have an established client base) who are using their influence to steer buyers away from sellers who are trying to get established in the market, who are not yet so successful, who have not yet built up a client base. Beyond unprofessional, beyond bullying...thats just plain irresponsible and, well, petty.
As I said before, if you're successful, you're going to see your work mirrored in the work of others...its a pitfall of success...
I mean, if you're lucky in this game too...
there's gonna be another cat comin' out, looking like you, sounding like you next year, I know this.
There'll be a flipside to what you did, somebody else trying to spin off like some series...
That's what happens. That's what happens with success....that's life. Get over it. Or IGNORE it. And move on. Do your thing, try to improve on your thing. Make your thing better. Stay ahead of them...push yourself to do something new and better rather than stagnating and complaining that everyone else is doing the same thing you are. Push your boundaries past them, rather than trying to defend the boundaries you *claim* as yours.
See, I was just surfing ebay and came across more of these petty little *im being copied* rants...
And every time I see one...I just want to throw something or strangle someone...wanting so bad to knock some sense into some twenty-something-year-old ego-absorbed little girls. But instead I think I'm gonna just ignore it from now on. I think. Maybe I'll go surf Overstock.com or something...geebus.
Ok, maybe I'm done with this topic, maybe not. But for now I'm going to over to my sewing machine and take my own advice :) Gonna go see if I can push my boundaries and stay ahead of MY competition *oy*
Sunday, June 12, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment